In the state of Wisconsin, several factors can influence if one spouse should receive maintenance or alimony from the other spouse.
Some factors that can be considered by the court include:
- Length of the marriage
- Age of the parties involved
- Health of the parties involved
- Education level of the spouses
- Earning capacity of the spouses
- Custody arrangement of the children
- If the spouse requesting support can become self-supporting, and the timetable to achieve this
- Agreements made between the two parties
- If one spouse contributed to the education, training and increased income of the other spouse
If you have questions as to whether or not you qualify for support, please seek legal advice from your attorney.