FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -

Two men suffered from smoke inhalation in an apartment fire in Fort Lauderdale.

Firefighters reported heavy smoke when they arrived at 1320 NW 4th Avenue about 1 p.m. Friday.

Firefighters pulled both men, about 60 years old, from the house. The men were taken to Broward Health, according to Matt Little, a spokesperson for the City of Fort Lauderdale.

Investigators believe the fire started on a mattress.

The apartment was heavily damaged and is not habitable, said Little.