Allen West's Top Ten Greatest Hits
Congressman Allen West's bullying email attack on Debbie Wasserman-Schultz -- in which he called her "vile," "heinous" and "not a lady" -- is reverberating around the country. Once again people are asking, who is this guy?
Well for the uninitiated, understand that this kind of thing is what veteran West watchers have come to expect -- one vitriolic and dubious comment after another. Here's the Top Ten quotes from the freshman Congressman so far:
10. On Barack Obama: "I am sick and tired of this class warfare, this Marxist, demagogic rhetoric that is coming from the President of the United States of America. ... I think that when you look at what a community organizer is turning out to be, it does seem to be like a low-level socialist agitator."
9. On "Coexist" bumper stickers that include all the symbols of the world's major religions: ?As I was driving up here today, I saw that bumper sticker that absolutely incenses me. It's not the Obama bumper sticker. But it's the bumper sticker that says, ?Co-exist.? And it has all the little religious symbols on it. And the reason why I get upset, and every time I see one of those bumper stickers, I look at the person inside that is driving. Because that person represents something that would give away our country. Would give away who we are, our rights and freedoms and liberties because they are afraid to stand up and confront that which is the antithesis, anathema of who we are.
8. On Obama again: "I must confess, when I see anyone with an Obama 2012 bumper sticker, I recognize them as a threat to the gene pool."
7. When it comes to genetic engineering, the Spartans were tops, killing newborns they deemed unfit for their warrior society. Here's West on his love of Sparta: "In ancient days, the most feared, the most vicious warriors known to man were the Spartans. Never known to retreat, never known to surrender ... Because the Spartan women at the age of nine gave up their male sons, and their male sons went into a training ... [and] when they were finally ready to join the ranks of the Spartan army, it was not their father who gave them their cloak and their shield. It was their mother who gave them their shield. And when the Spartan mother gave that young Spartan warrior his shield, she gave him this basic commandment: 'Spartan, here is your shield. Come back wearing this shield or being borne upon it.'
6. On physically disciplining children: "Once upon a time back in the old-school way of the women of the church, when you're a little tyke, you really fear. It was old mothers who would get together and say, 'Boy you better act right or else I'm going to get that switch and I'm going to tell your mom and she's going to get that belt.' But it was that type of discipline that enabled us to raise men of character, men of courage, men of honor, men of integrity."
5. West has always been big on broad condemnations of Muslims: "I think one of the critical things that we must come together is that there is an infiltration of the Sharia practice into all of our operating systems in our country as well as across Western civilization. So we must be willing to recognize that enemy."
4. ?This is it. I'm going to count to five again, and if you don?t give me what I want, I?m going to kill you.?
(West said this to an Iraqi prisoner before firing a round off a foot from his head in an effort to get information from him. It got West tossed out of the Army -- and helped make him a Tea Party hero.)
3. On political compromise: ?I hate big-tent. I hate inclusiveness. And I hate outreach.?
2. After West jettisoned his initial choice for his chief of staff, radio talker Joyce Kaufman, over a controversy for her statements that if "ballots don't work, bullet will," he came on Kaufman's show and said: ?I'm even more committed, even more focused on making sure that this liberal, progressive, socialist agenda, this leftwing vile, vicious, despicable machine that is out there is soundly brought to its knees,?
1. To Congressman Debbie Wasserman-Schultz yesterday: "Let me make myself perfectly clear, you want a personal fight, I am happy to oblige. You are the most vile, unprofessional ,and despicable member of the US House of Representatives. If you have something to say to me, stop being a coward and say it to my face, otherwise, shut the heck up. ... I shall defend myself forthright against your heinous characterless behavior. ... You have proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!"
Copyright 2010 by Post-Newsweek Stations. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed