Bug eater's cause of death released

Edward Archbold dies after bug eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptiles

Published On: Nov 26 2012 01:53:28 PM EST   Updated On: Nov 27 2012 08:58:20 AM EST
Edward Archbold
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -

The Broward Medical Examiner's Office released the cause of death of the man who ate dozens of insects as part of a contest to win a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, died Oct. 6 after eating dozens of cockroaches and worms at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach.

According to the ME, Archbold choked to death. Testing found that the body parts from the insects blocked his airway.

Laboratory tests for drugs came back negative.

The ME deemed Archbold's death an accident.

The attorney for Ben Siegel sent Local 10 the following statement, "My clients are still deeply and traumatized by this tragedy. I only saw the very brief report on the initial determination of death by asphyxiation, but I am anxiously awaiting any toxicology information that may be contained in the full report.

Subsequent investigation revealed that the companion who brought Mr. Archbold to the contest took him away from the store after he showed signs of distress, but never sped him to any medical facility, as he indicated to everyone he would do. If this companion let him lay on his back, this could have led to the asphyxiation, but we need more information before attributing any responsibility to anyone. At this point in time, I do not see any direct nexus between this tragedy and what was consumed, but more likely in how it was consumed, unfortunately. I would imagine anyone in any type of eating contest runs the risks attendant to not properly chewing whatever you are putting in your mouth, but much more information needs to be put out before any conclusions are made."