Hazardous chemicals and materials ignited a fire on the roof of the Red Apple Charter School in Hollywood Saturday.
Three pallets of materials designed to weather-proof the roof were sitting on top of the building at 1705 Jackson St. Firefighters said when putting out the fire, they noticed vapors rising from the rubble and determined there was about 100 5-gallon jugs of a primer chemical on the roof. The chemical used to seal concrete and plywood, auto-ignites at 94 degrees and being that it's so hot outside, it ignited into flames, Hollywood Fire Rescue said.
The fire was so intense that at a certain point it melted the concrete, which means it reached temperatures of 1,500 to 1,600 degrees, HFR said. Witnesses were calling in to the fire department from I-95, saying they could see the black smoke from the highway.
Crews were resurfacing the area, turning it into a recreation space with a basketball court for the school.
Hazmat crews and county air quality crews were on the scene and took readings to make sure run-off water won't contaminate the surrounding ground water. Broward County's Environment Protection Division said no hazardous material was found in the water, according to Hollywood Fire Chief Joel Medina.