House fire displaces family in Miami
Police: Neighbors tried to put out flames before fire fighters arrived
A house fire Saturday displaced a family of six in Miami.
Authorities said the fire happened at 5729 Northwest 5th Court.
Police said three adults and a 12-year-old girl were inside when the fire erupted.
According to neighbors, a small fire was spotted somewhere in the yard and gradually grew larger, police said.
A father and his son quickly ran around the block and began banging on the front door and attempted to slow down the fire using a garden hose, police said.
Failed attempts forced the Good Samaritans to retreat, but not before assisting three adult males and a 12-old-girl escape the house unharmed, authorities said.
The residents, who were sleeping at the time, were initially awakened by the alarm of their smoke detector, investigators said.
Officials said fire rescue crews arrived within four minutes to find a raging inferno consuming the entire back half of the single story home, and slowly burning another house next door.
Firefighters dragged fire hose lines through the yards of neighboring homes to extinguish the fire.
Officials said large amounts of items stored inside of the wooden structure, including several propane tanks, contributed to the fast moving fire.
Firefighters brought the fire under control within 30 minutes of receiving the initial call, officials said.
A Firefighter sustained minor burns from falling debris and was treated on scene.
The house was deemed uninhabitable.
The house next door sustained minor fire and smoke damage.
Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.