A lawsuit is seeking records from a fatal police-involved shooting in Miami Beach during last year's busy Memorial Day weekend.
The lawsuit was filed Thursday on behalf of the family of the man who was shot and two bystanders who were seriously wounded. They want official records surrounding the shooting so they can pursue legal action against the cities of Miami Beach and Hialeah, whose officers were involved.
Authorities say about 100 rounds were fired at a car being driven by 22-year-old Raymond Herisse in a crowded South Beach area. Police claimed Herisse tried to run officers down and also had a gun in the car. It's not clear if he ever fired it.
"Why did my son die? I want justice," said Marcelline Azor during a news conference Thursday.
Cedrick Perkins, 25, was standing in a hotel lobby when gunshots rang out. He was hit in the chest, where a bullet is still lodged.
Perkins has not been able to work since the shooting.
"A year has passed and he still has a bullet there and we still have no answers," said attorney Marwan Porter.
Miami Beach police have not commented on the case because the investigation is ongoing. This year police plan an increased presence for Memorial Day.