ME awaits toxicology in bug eater's death

Edward Archbold dies after roach-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptiles

Published On: Oct 09 2012 11:19:13 AM EDT   Updated On: Oct 09 2012 02:30:46 PM EDT
Edward Archbold
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -

The Broward Medical Examiner's Office was awaiting results of a toxicology report before finishing the autopsy of a man who died after eating dozens of insects as part of a contest to win a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, died shortly after participating in a roach-eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach on Friday evening.

Ben Siegel, the owner of the store, said contestants must sign a waiver saying they are sober and don't have allergies to shellfish, which have similar allergens to cockroaches.

The Medical Examiner's Office said the toxicology report should be finished in about two weeks.