A Miramar man survived a bite from a coral snake. The bite can often be fatal, but he managed to pull through.
When Bob Houghson's air conditioning unit began making a funny noise, he didn't think twice about walking outside his home barefoot.
"I felt a horrible burning on my leg. I saw it chewing. It was stuck against me, very painful," Houghson said.
Houghson, a retired paramedic, kept his cool and called 911 even though he knew he was looking at a venomous coral snake.
Houghson is still recovering at Memorial Regional Hospital with a swollen tongue and numb legs. He was treated with with ten viles of anti-venom.
Coral snake bites can be deadly if not treated immediately.
"This hospital, I'll never forget them. They saved my life," Houghson said.