NCAA men's basketball tourney field fills up
A bevy of squads punched their ticket to the dance Saturday
After an action-packed Saturday, the dance card of NCAA men's basketball contenders is filling up fast.
Some of those teams earning tickets this weekend to the upcoming NCAA tournament, such as Kansas, are perennial contenders. Several other potential Cinderellas also punched tickets to join the "March Madness" after winning their conference tournaments.
The full 68-team NCAA tournament field will be announced Sunday, after yet more conference championship games.
Here are the teams that locked up tourney spots Saturday:
• Akron (Mid-American Conference), by virtue of topping Ohio University
• Albany (America East), which eked out a victory over Vermont
• Chicago State (Great West), moving on despite a 11-21 record
• Kansas (Big 12), after defeating Kansas State by a 70-54 score
• Louisville (Big East), after outslugging likewise highly touted Syracuse
• Memphis (Conference USA), which topped Southern Mississippi in double overtime
• New Mexico (Mountain West), by outpacing UNLV
• North Carolina A&T (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), which narrowly beat Morgan State
• Northwestern State (Southland), eking out a victory over Stephen F. Austin
• Southern (Southwestern Athletic Conference), after scoring a 1-point win over Prairie View A&M
These teams are assured of a spot, by virtue of having previously secured automatic bids before this weekend:
• Belmont (Ohio Valley Conference)
• Bucknell (Patriot League)
• Creighton (Missouri Valley)
• Davidson (Southern)
• Florida Gulf Coast (Atlantic Sun)
• Gonzaga (West Coast)
• Harvard (Ivy League)
• Iona (Metro Atlantic Athletic)
• James Madison (Colonial Athletic Association)
• Liberty (Big South)
• Long Island University Brooklyn (Northeast Conference)
• South Dakota State (The Summit League)
• Valparaiso (Horizon League)
• Western Kentucky (Sun Belt)
Copyright 2013 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.