TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A Tampa dog was being treated for poisoning by a Bufo toad, a species known for its hallucinogenic toxins and increased activity during periods of unusually heavy rains.
The dog was under a veterinarian's care on Wednesday and is expected to recover.
The Tampa Tribune reports the incident has area veterinarians warning pet owners about the dangers of the huge toads.
One Tampa vet says several cases of toad poisoning are treated every week during periods of increased Bufo toad activity.
Curious dogs and cats tend to lick or pick up Bufo toads with their mouths. When this happens, the toad secretes a poison from glands on the back of its head, which causes the pets to have seizures and other symptoms.