Fire officials said the fire at a Plantation apartment complex that destroyed at least two units and left several families displaced Sunday morning was sparked by a lit cigarette left on a couch.
Witnesses said the flames broke out around 8:30 Sunday morning at the Lake Park Garden apartment complex, inside a corner unit and spread to several others. By the time firefighters arrived, flames were shooting up into the air and part of the roof had collapsed.
Officials said no one was injured in the fire. In addition to the two units that were destroyed, at least nine others suffered severe smoke and water damage. It is still unclear how many families have been affected.
The Red Cross is assisting six of the displaced families who need a place to stay.