Volunteers register newly naturalized voters
New voters register ahead of November 6 election
Volunteers are helping newly naturalized U.S. citizens register for the upcoming election.
Outside a naturalization ceremony in southwest Miami-Dade, volunteers had set up tents to help the newest American citizens register.
"It's easy. It's a good way," said Maria Gomez, originally from Colombia.
Steven Handshu is one of the many volunteers.
"The numbers are incredible," said Steven Handshu.
Handshu said it's important that these voters make up their own minds.
"It's non-partisan," said Handshu.
"It's my obligation. I'm a U.S. citizen," said Gomez.
"It's my right," said Guillermo Rivas.
The last day to register to vote is Tuesday.
Once you are registered to vote, please remember that you will receive your voter information card in two to three weeks. While you wait for your voter information card, you can find pertinent information regarding your polling place on our website by clicking on Precinct Finder .
- You do not need your voter information card in order to vote as it is not a form of ID. The voter information card is an informational piece.
- Florida law requires voters to present a picture ID with signature. Acceptable forms of ID are: Florida Driver’s License (quickest to process), Florida ID Card (quickest to process), US Passport, Military or Student ID, Public Assistance ID, Neighborhood association identification and Debit/Credit Card.
- If the voter’s picture ID does not contain a signature, an additional document with signature may be used.
- By law, your voter ID must be current and valid.
- You will be asked for ID, if you do not have ID, by law you MUST vote a Provisional Ballot.
- I.D. required and checked at the polls is used solely to confirm the voter’s identity, not to verify the voter’s ID number or address. The photograph on the ID is compared to the person standing before the poll worker and the signature on the ID is compared to the signature on record.
Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.