DAVIE, Fla. -

A couple suffered smoke inhalation when their Davie apartment erupted in flames Tuesday morning.

Firefighters responded to an apartment building in the 3700 block of Southwest 60th Terrace about 8:40 a.m.

The fire started in a bedroom on the second floor and was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. The couple was asleep at the time, but was able to walk out without any serious injuries.

The couple was transported to a nearby hospital, said a spokesman for the Davie Police Department. Their conditions weren't immediately released.

The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes. It's unclear what started the fire.