MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - A 44-year-old man was arrested after officers responded to 911 calls referencing a shooting at the Regal movie theater on Lincoln Road during a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" early Tuesday morning.
Witnesses say Escamillo had been acting strangely before screaming "This is it!" during the packed midnight showing of the latest Batman movie.
According to the arrest report, when officers arrived, they found David Martin Escamillo was being detained by three other moviegoers.
Police say Escamillo, who had a "strong smell of alcohol and sounded irrational," was yelling, "I didn't shoot anybody."
Witnesses told police Escamillo was seated near the rear of the theater when he got up as the movie began playing and began repeatedly walking up and down the staircase.
The police report says Escamillo then got into an argument with another person in the audience and left.
Witnesses say he soon returned wearing black gloves and screamed "This is it," causing other movie goers to rush out of the theater.
James Butler was inside theater #2 when Escamillo started pacing the aisles.
"And is standing right next to where my brother and I are sitting, and he says, 'Right now, right f-ing now,'" Butler said.
Butler said, as people started confronting Escamillo, others began running outside. Escamillo almost got lost in the crowd until Butler spotted him rights outside of the theater. Butler said his brother had grabbed a broom and dustpan from the theater's lobby.
"And I go, 'There's the guy right there!' And my brother's like, 'Yeah, there he is, let's get him!' So, we just run after him. My brother cracks him over the back with a broom," Butler said.
About 30 Miami Beach police officers responded to the scene.
"Everyone was outside, panicked," said Kevin Marshalleck, a South Beach resident who shot home video of the chaos on Alton Road.
Video shows Escamillo being escorted by a Miami Beach police officer into a squad car.
Escamillo was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, among other charges, and given a bond of $8,000.
On Tuesday afternoon, the theater released the following statement:
"There was a disturbance in a theatre at approximately midnight in South Beach. Regal takes the matter very seriously, accordingly we are working closely with local police. All information at this time should come from the authorities, as we would not want to interfere with their investigation. Regal, our employees and security personnel remain alert and engaged. Our number one priority continues to be the safety and security of guests and employees."
Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.