Restaurant employee touches hair, nose before handling food, report says

Roach issue also found inside Marge's Garden Restaurant

By Jeff Weinsier - Investigative Reporter
Headline Goes Here

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - An employee inside Marge's Garden Restaurant in Fort Lauderdale was observed touching his hair and nose before handling food.

Not only that, but state records also show that the employee continuously wiped his hands on a towel and apron that were contaminated with egg drippings and then continued to handle raw foods and ready-to-eat foods without washing his hands first.

Margie's also had a roach issue.

It's the second time that Marge's was ordered shut in the past month.

According to state records, there was a rodent issue discovered in the kitchen at Wings Plus in Coral Springs.

La Belle Restaurant in North Miami Beach was ordered shut for the third time since 2014.

Below is a list of places and some of their violations.

All the places mentioned were allowed to reopen following an ordered cleanup and re-inspection.

***Marge's Garden Restaurant

4400 N. Andrews Ave.

Fort Lauderdale

Ordered shut Nov. 21

24 violations found

Also ordered shut Oct. 31

"Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. 1 live roach with casing by dishwashing area, 1 live roach on wall near kitchen pick up window at cook line, 5 live roaches behind glass door cooler in rear prep area and 1 live roach under shelving in front counter area."

"Single-use gloves not changed as needed after changing tasks or when damaged or soiled. Gloves not changed after being contaminated with egg drippings and then handling cheese and cooked sausage. Gloves not changed after touching hair and nose and the handling foods . Gloves changed and hands washed."

"Spray bottle with chemical/toxic substance stored near/on/above food preparation surface or food. Creamy baby oil bottle stored with syrup in the servers station near kitchen entry door. Baby oil removed."

"Certified Food Manager or person in charge lacks knowledge of food borne illnesses and symptoms of illness that would prevent an employee from working with food, clean equipment and utensils, and single-service items."

"Accumulation of black/green mold-like substance in the interior of the ice machine. Ice machine cleaned. **Corrected On-Site."

"Slicer blade guard soiled with old food debris. Slicer cleaned."

"Food stored on floor. Bucket of sugar on the floor in front counter area."

"Chlorine sanitizer not at proper minimum strength for manual ware washing. Do not use equipment/utensils not properly sanitized. 0 ppm chlorine used when ware washing at 3 compartment sink. Only washing and rinsing with no sanitization step observed . Container sent to wash at dish machine with 100 ppm chlorine."

"Employee cracked raw shell eggs and then handled ready-to-eat food ( cheese and cooked sausage) and/or clean equipment or utensils ( clean spatula) without washing hands. Gloves change and hands washed."

"Employee touched face/hair and then engaged in food preparation and handled clean equipment without washing hands. Gloves changed and hands washed."

"Employee touched soiled apron/clothes and then engaged in food preparation, handled clean equipment or utensils, or touched unwrapped single-service items without washing hands. Employee continuously wiped hands on towel and apron contaminated with egg drippings and then continued to handle raw foods and ready to eat foods without washing his hands first. Employee changed gloves and washed hands."

***Wings Plus

1235 University Drive

Coral Springs

Ordered shut Nov. 21

14 violations found

"Rodent activity present as evidenced by rodent droppings found. 6 fresh droppings on top of water heater across from ice machine in kitchen. Also 4 dry dropping under hand sink in kitchen near triple sink."

"Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, or food storage area."

"Dead roaches on premises. 3 dead in glue trap in corner under water heater."

"Floor soiled/has accumulation of debris. Throughout the kitchen, especially behind the fryers grease build up along the back wall and floor."

"Single-use gloves not changed as needed after changing tasks or when damaged or soiled. Cook touched face and used cell phone with out changing gloves , advise to wash and change."

***La Belle Rose Restaurant & Produce

16689 NE 19th Ave.

North Miami Beach

Ordered shut Nov. 22

16 violations found

Also ordered shut Sept. 19

Also ordered shut March 4

"Roach activity present as evidenced by live roaches found. Approximately 9 live roaches underneath shelves on south side wall. Approximately 25 live roaches in gaskets of reach in freezers located in northeast corner of kitchen."

"Certified Food Manager or person in charge lacks knowledge of food borne illnesses and symptoms of illness that would prevent an employee from working with food, clean equipment and utensils, and single-service items. **Repeat Violation**"

"Accumulation of debris in three-compartment sink. **Repeat Violation."

"Dead roaches on premises. Approximately 15 dead roaches behind reach in coolers located on north west corner of kitchen. Approximately 25 dead roaches in storage cabinet located in center of kitchen."

"Operating with an expired Division of Hotels and Restaurants license."

"Interior of reach-in cooler soiled with accumulation of food residue. **Repeat Violation**"

Copyright 2016 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.