MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. - Organizers of a big toy giveaway in Miami Gardens say there may be no toys this holiday because donations for "Toys for Tots" are down this year.
Eleven-year-old Jerimiah Hill's mother signed her four children up to get two toys each at a giveaway organized by the non-profit "A Child's First Impression," which benefits the hardship families of 800 Miami-Dade and Broward children.
"It makes me feel bad," Jerimiah said.
Now the Dec. 17 event at Buccaneer Park and the Betty T. Ferguson Complex is in jeopardy.
"My heart is broken," Organizer Shataria Bridge-Moss said.
She received a letter from "Toys for Tots" in September telling her she had been approved for hundreds of toys. But days before the event she wouldn't be able to pick them up.
"They were not able to fill my order they had to disapprove me because of lack of donations," Bridge-Moss said.
"What am I going to do? This was my last resort," Tameika Prothero, a disabled mom of four said. "Hopefully something comes through. If not it's plan B—have Christmas a little bit later."
If you would like to help, visit the "Toys for Tots" homepage for Miami-Dade County.
The county's headquarters is in Hialeah.
Copyright 2011 by Post Newsweek. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.