FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -
The charged stemmed from his domestic battery conviction last year.
"As far as the warrant, it caught me off guard," Johnson told Broward Circuit Court Judge Kathleen McHugh. "I was under the impression after seeing you the last time I was here that all I had to do was classes."
"At this point, from what I'm hearing so far, I don't think you're taking your probation seriously. I don't," replied McHugh.
Johnson posted a $1,000 bond on Monday afternoon.
"There's criteria and guideline that everybody has to follow regardless of who you are, and when you become part of the system, it's an even playing field, that's including me," he said.
He will have a hearing on June 3.
According to the Broward Sheriff's Office, Johnson violated the terms of his probation by failing to meet with probation specialists on Feb. 15 and March 15 and for failing to show proof of enrollment and completion of the Batterers Intervention Program (B.I.P.).
The former Miami Dolphins wide receiver pleaded no contest to one count of domestic battery in September 2012. Johnson was arrested on August 11 at his Davie home after he was accused of head butting then-wife Evelyn Lozada during an argument.
"I made a terrible mistake and I've apologized for it as many times I could," Johnson told Local 10 in March. "I think that storm is over now and the sun is peeking out and I'm looking forward to what's to come."
Adam Swickle, Johnson's attorney, called the warrant a misunderstanding and said that they thought Johnson was on administrative probation, which doesn't require regular check-ins.
When asked whether he was considering a comeback to the NFL, Johnson said he doesn't want to be remembered for the domestic violence incident.
"To be remembered for an incident like that, that's a bad way to go out," said Johnson.
Copyright 2013 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.