NORTH BAY VILLAGE, Fla. - A North Bay Village apartment building was evacuated early Monday morning when a fire started in a unit on the building's fourth floor.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue was called to the building on South Treasure Drive around 3 a.m. An official told Local 10's Tamika Bickham the electrical fire was started by a dryer that was not supposed to be in the unit.
Three women who were staying in the apartment were able to get out and call for help.
"My friend and my sister said you need to move fast, you need to move fast," a woman who lived in the unit told Local 10, adding that she only grabbed her dog before leaving.
Their unit was destroyed.
Fire rescue officials say at least eight other units have smoke and water damage. The residents without serious damage to their homes were allowed to go back inside shortly after 6 a.m. No residents expressed the need for Red Cross aid.
No one was hurt in the fire. Authorities have shut down power to the affected area to prevent any injury.
Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.