SANFORD, Fla. - A Florida judge is weighing several factors in deciding whether to set a second bond for the neighborhood watch volunteer who fatally shot Miami Gardens teen Trayvon Martin.
The judge is considering if George Zimmerman is a flight risk or a threat to the community. Most importantly, Zimmerman will have to persuade the judge he won't be deceptive again.
Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester revoked Zimmerman's $150,000 bond earlier this month when prosecutors told the judge Zimmerman and his wife misled the court about how much money they had during an April bond hearing.
Prosecutors said a website Zimmerman created for his legal defense had raised $135,000 at the time of his first bond hearing. Zimmerman and his wife didn't mention the money then.
The Zimmermans' attorney insisted Friday that there was no plan to deceive the court, that their actions were motivated by fear.
Friday's hearing came just a few days after new evidence was released to the public. The evidence includes audio recordings of Zimmerman yelling for "help." Investigators are trying to determine if the recordings matched a 911 call from the night Zimmerman shot and killed Trayvon Martin.
Coming to his son's defense, Robert Zimmerman was asked to identify the screams on the 911 recording from the night Martin was shot. When asked if it was his son's voice, Robert Zimmerman said, "Absolutely."
The prosecutor fought to keep Zimmerman held without bail, first taking issue with the 911 tape being played in open court.
"How can he be screaming if the victim has his hands over his nose and mouth?" the prosecutor asked.
Martin's parents were on hand for the hearing.
Lester has said new developments in the case, including a domestic violence clash with an ex-girlfriend, could work against him.
A $10,000 fine has come public, stemming from a 2006 federal lawsuit and allegations of bullying from a former co-worker.
Friday, Lester is also expected to decide whether to make public a sworn statement from an unidentified woman. The defense and prosecution have said this statement could ruin Zimmerman's chances at a fair trial. Attorneys will only say that the accusations made are unrelated to Martin's death.
At the hearing Friday, after hearing arguments, the judge said he needed to look at the evidence and that he would then make a decision on Zimmerman's bond. It is unclear when that decision will be made.
Zimmerman's attorney is expected to depose about 50 witnesses. He does not believe the trial will begin until 2013.
Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.