Abandoning your pet during a hurricane is not an option. Here are some pet-friendly resources to help make sure you pets are safe if you can't take them with you in an evacuation.
As you plan for your family's safety, remember to plan for your pet as well. Abandoning your pet during a hurricane is not an option. and it's against the law!
If you must evacuate, please consider these five smart options:
Make a reservation at a pet-friendly hotel/motel outside of the hurricane area. For information on pet-friendly hotels/motels check:
Reserve space for your pet at a kennel outside of the hurricane area.
- Be clear on the kennel's policies and requirements
- Pets must be current on their vaccinations
- Pets must have a Pet Registration Tag
Check to see if your veterinarian will be offering boarding services.
Decide whether to stay at the home of a relative or friend outside of the storm area.
- Bring your Pet Survival Kit (food, water, leashes, identification/veterinary papers)
Stay at the Broward County pet-friendly shelter.
To register for the pet-friendly shelter contact the Broward County Humane Society at 954-989-3977.
- Space is limited and pre-registration is required.
- You must stay at the shelter with your pet.