Miami coach Joe Philbin promised Thursday that he would make the Dolphins locker room a better workplace following an investigation into the Jonathan Martin scandal.
It was the first time he has publicly addressed the findings in the Ted Wells report, which was released late last week. Wells looked into allegations that Martin had been bullied by teammate Richie Incognito and others.
As the first coach to speak at the podium of the NFL combine in Indianapolis, Philbin immediately said he would look under "every stone" to change the culture inside Miami's locker room.
"I have to do a better job," Philbin said.
He said he was not aware of the language or the nature of the bullying when it happened and said he would have intervened earlier if he had been.
"I'm going to be more vigilant," he said. "I'm going to be more diligent. I'm going to be more visible. I'm going to have a better pulse."
The changes have already begun.
On Wednesday night, the Dolphins fired offensive line coach Jim Turner and longtime head athletic trainer Kevin O'Neill for their roles in the scandal. While the timing seemed odd, on the eve of a six-day event where Miami and the league's 31 other teams can interview and test draft hopefuls, Philbin said the Dolphins needed time to contemplate the report's findings and possible punitive actions.
The Wells investigation found that Incognito, a guard, and two teammates engaged in persistent harassment of Martin, another offensive lineman and an assistant trainer. Martin left the team at midseason, and Incognito was suspended for the final eight games.
Click here to read the entire report.(Warning: Vulgar, racist, sexually explicit language)
Martin has said that the persistently vulgar language made him feel trapped. Wells determined that Turner didn't try to stop the harassment and even took part in some of the taunting of offensive lineman Andrew McDonald. The report said O'Neill expressed hostility toward the investigation and cut short an interview with those conducting it.
Three weeks ago, team owner Stephen Ross said he did not expect Martin or Incognito to be back with the Dolphins next season.
Those decisions will likely rest with new general manager Dennis Hickey. Philbin declined to comment specifically on either player except to say Ross and Martin were expected to meet soon and that he took immediate action when he learned of the allegations against Incognito.
Martin's agent, Kenneth Zuckerman, has said he plans to meet with the Dolphins in Indianapolis.
Philbin also had a message to the fans and players.
"We're going to do things about it," he said. "We're going to make it better."