Floridians who lost homes can still file claims

Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi says people who lost homes still have time to file claims

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi says that Floridians who lost their homes to foreclosure still have a chance to get a share of a large national settlement.

The initial deadline for people to file for a claim payment was Jan. 18, but state officials say claims filed afterwards are likely to be accepted. Those eligible could receive at least $840.

Florida received $8.4 billion as part of the national mortgage settlement.

The settlement applies to loans serviced by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan Chase, Citi or GMAC/Ally. Payments will go to people who lost their home to foreclosure between 2008 and 2011.

Florida has been one of the states hit hardest by the foreclosure crisis.

So far only about half of the estimated 150,000 people in Florida eligible for claim payments have responded to mail notices or phone calls.

Click here to learn how to apply.

Copyright 2013 by Local10.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.