Man bitten by water moccasin in Pembroke Pines

Victim drives himself to Palmetto General Hospital in Hialeah

By Todd Tongen - Anchor/Reporter

HIALEAH, Fla. - A South Florida man was bitten by a snake Thursday in Pembroke Pines.

"We were contacted today by Palmetto General Hospital and Poison Control about a 34-year-old male bitten by a venomous snake they were describing as a water moccasin," Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Scott Mullin said.

The Pembroke Pines worker drove himself to the hospital in Hialeah, but authorities said that could have sped up the damage from the venom.

"He was actually bitten up in Pembroke Pines, working up there, and that's where we get most of our bites," Mullin said. "Anything west of (Interstate) 75 was basically built out in the Everglades."

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials said now is the time to be on the lookout for venomous snakes that usually dwell below ground.

"This is the beginning of our snake bite season. From April to October is our busiest time," Mullin said.

The water moccasin, also known as a cottonmouth, is a pit viper, and there is a single anti-venom to treat those type of bites.

"Obviously, the faster we give it, the more tissue we can save," Mullin said. "So it's not just about saving a life. It is about saving that person’s ability to do their job. In this case, if they are bitten in the hand and they work with their hands, we are trying to prevent further damage from happening."

In this case, rescuers believe the man got treatment in time and should recover from the bite.

Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.