FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A 50-year-old man who suffered burns on 90 percent of his body when his boat caught fire was in critical but stable condition at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
The Chico Malo, a 40-foot Mainship Motor Yacht, caught fire at 77 Hendricks Isle about 7:35 a.m. Wednesday. The flames then spread to a 38-foot Hunter sailboat.
The Fort Lauderdale Fire Marshal's office said a man onboard, identified by friends as 50-year-old Bart Lopresti, smelled gasoline, and noted the odor became stronger when he went below deck. He turned on the blige pump, which appeared to ignite the flames.
Lopresti, his 4-year-old son, and the boy's mother were onboard, said Reggie Fecteau, the manager at KiraMar Waterfront Villas. It was their last week of a three-week vacation from New Jersey.
Lopresti needs skin grafts for his hands, which suffered second- and third-degree burns, according to Fecteau.
Lopresti's son and the boy's mother weren't injured.
Two men onboard the sailboat also weren't injured. Both boats were destroyed.
Copyright 2013 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.