Man rescued from fire at scooter repair shop in Miami

Business victim of arson year ago

MIAMI - Firefighters rescued a man from a fire at a scooter repair shop in Miami.

The fire started Monday evening at Astro Choppers and Scooter Repair Shop at 633 NE 79th St.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found a canopy-covered workshop engulfed in flames and a man screaming for help inside.

They said a man nearby saw the flames, jumped over the fence and tried to put the fire out with a water hose, but he became trapped in the building.

Firefighters grabbed bolt cutters and rescued the trapped man. He was not hurt.

The fire was quickly extinguished. It caused between $10,000 to $20,000 in damage.

The owner said he closed the shop around 6:30 p.m. Monday night.

The fire was not captured on surveillance cameras.

The same business experienced an arson a year ago. That fire was captured on surveillance video.

Fire investigators plan to review information about the previous fire to determine if they are related.

Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.