PARKLAND, Fla. - A man whose wife was treating their dog for ticks was hospitalized after catching on fire, authorities said.
The incident happened Tuesday night in the Fox Ridge community in Parkland.
According to Coral Springs Fire Rescue, Telma Botcherby told them she had treated the dog with flea and tick spray. The dog then walked over to her pet bed and lay down.
Botcherby saw a live tick on the floor and attempted to burn it with a lighter.
The dog got spooked, ran over to Botcherby and caught on fire.
Botcherby's husband, Jess Olivas, picked up the dog and jumped into the family pool.
Olivas received second-degree burns to 18 - 24 percent of his body. He was taken to North Broward Hospital and transferred to Jackson Memorial Hospital for treatment of his injuries.
Deputies and fire rescue workers attempted to find a veterinary hospital that would treat the dog for injuries to her abdomen and inside of her back legs.
They were finally able to locate a hospital in Margate that agreed to treat the dog on Wednesday morning.
Watch Local 10 News and refresh Local10.com for updates on this story.
Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.