MIAMI SHORES, Fla. -

The Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office won't file charges against a teenager who police say shot and killed a 20-year-old man trying to steal a personal watercraft from his Miami Shores home in 2011.

The teenager's mother saw a stranger in her back yard about to steal one of her Waverunners on May 21, 2011. She told her teenage son to grab a shotgun, and he shot and killed Reynaldo Munoz, according to police.

The teenager's mother told police she thought Munoz was armed, but police said he was only carrying a key for the watercraft.

Munoz didn't hear Davis yell at him because he was a deaf mute.

Munoz's parents wanted murder charges filed, but the state attorney ruled otherwise, saying: "... found that the 'appearance' of danger was so real that a reasonably prudent and cautious person would have believed the danger could only have been avoided through the use of deadly force."

Munoz's parents filed a lawsuit over his death. Carolina Lopez, his girlfriend, accepted a plea deal in the case last year.

READ: State Attorney's closeout memorandum |