FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - Broward County's Highway and Bridge Maintenance Division will be performing scheduled maintenance work and repairing damage to pedestrian and traffic gates on the Andrews Avenue Drawbridge over the New River in Fort Lauderdale.
The work is scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. Wednesday, July 31, and end at 6 a.m. Thursday, August 1. To perform the necessary work, the bridge will remain out of service to vehicular and pedestrian traffic throughout the evening.
Residents and frequent users of the Andrews Avenue Bridge, including vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian traffic, should expect the following:
- Andrews Avenue will be fully closed from south of Las Olas Boulevard to Southwest Fifth Street.
- Northbound Andrews Avenue will be open to local traffic only between Southeast Sixth Street and Southeast Fifth Street.
- A detour will be in place directing Andrews Avenue traffic to Southeast Third Avenue via East Las Olas Boulevard and Southeast Sixth Street.
- Vessel traffic on the New River should not be impacted because the bridge will be operational or otherwise stowed in the upright position.
- Pedestrian and bicycle traffic must also use Southeast Third Avenue to cross the New River. The Andrews Avenue sidewalk and stair tower on the north side of the New River will be closed in addition to the ramp tower on the south side of the New River.