NORTH MIAMI, Fla. -

A 7-year old boy is dead after he was electrocuted by the light in his family pool.

Calder Sloan was killed Sunday not long after he jumped into the water to race a family friend across the pool.

"This was always a place of happiness and joy, and lots of activity," said the boy's father, Chris Sloan.

Thursday was the first time Sloan has been back to his house since his son died. He spoke with Local 10 in the backyard, on the edge of the pool where Calder took his last breaths.

"The world is a worse place because were not going to get to realize the potential of what Calder Jacob Sloan was capable of," Sloan said.

Calder Sloan loved the water. Fish envied him, his dad said, because he was a better swimmer. He was ready Sunday to get back in the pool. It was the first time anyone had been in in months.

Calder challenged a family friend to race to the other side but soon after they jumped in, the friend felt a tingle and quickly got out of the water, but Calder kept swimming, right toward the pool light.

"Somehow he was shocked by that, started shaking and as we understand it, he went into some form of unconsciousness," Sloan said.

A nanny was watching the boys at the time. Her adult son pulled Calder out the water and they called 911. Neighbor Fabian Pesantes was alerted to the commotion, rushed down and started CPR.

"As I was touching the water, to wipe off my mouth, I was getting zapped," said Pesantes. "As I was performing CPR on the boy I was getting zapped."

The medical examiner said Calder was electrocuted and it appears the pool light is to blame. According to an electrical contractor who inspected the equipment afterward, one of the ground wires connecting to the pool switch to the transformer wasn't attached and that sent 120 volts of electricity to the pool light, instead of the normal 12.

Important lesson in pool safety

NOW TO A VERY IMPORTANT SAFETY ALERT FOR PARENTS AND A HIDDEN DANGER INVOLVING YOUR BACKYARD SWIMMING POOL. OFF THE TOP AT 6:00 WE BROUGHT YOU TRAGIC STORY OF ONE FAMILY WHOSE SEVEN-YEAR-OLD SON WAS ELECTROCUTED WHILE SWIMMING IN THEIR BACKYARD POOL. THE LITTLE BOY WAS ELECTROTOUTED CUTE BY THE POOL LIGHT, AND THE FAMILY IS HOPING THEIR STORY WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESS OP FOR YOU. LOCAL10'S ROGER LOHSE JOINS US LIVE WITH WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW. Reporter: FIRST YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT THIS FAMILY, THEY RECENTLY HAD THEIR POOL LIGHT WORKED ON. THIS IS A SWITCH RIGHT HERE THAT CONTROLLED THE LIGHT, AND IT APPEARS THAT PERHAPS IT WAS NOT TIRED,, WAS RE WIRED INAPPROPRIATELY. SOME EXPERTS WE TALKED TO SAID ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT IN OUR HOUSES ARE DONELL STANLEY BEING WORKED ON BY THE ENVIRONMENT. ACCORDING TO THE ELECTRICIAN TO INSPECTED THE EQUIPMENT AFTER THE INCIDENT, AN IMPORTANT GROUND WIRE DENT POOL SWITCH TO THE TRANSFORMER THAT STEPS DOWN THE ELECTRICAL CURRENT FROM THE HOUSE WASN'T ATTACHED, SENDING THE FULL 120 VOLTS TO THE POOL LIGHT. IT APPEARS THAT STRONG CURRENT ACCELERATED THE CORROSION OF THE STEEL THAT ENCASED THE LIGHT, EVENTUALLY WATER SEEPED IN AND TURNED THE POOL INTO AN ELECTRICALLY CHARGED BODY OF WATER. THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO SOMEBODY HERE, AND IT HAPPENED TO -- KINT HAPPEN -- THAT'S NOT WHO IT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED TO. ED IS THE CHIEF ELECTRICAL INSPECTOR FOR THE CITY OF HOLLYWOOD. HE COULDN'T SPEAK SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THIS INCIDENT BUT SAID GENERALLY CORROSION FROM SOUTH FLORIDA'S SETTLE ENVIRONMENT CAN WREAK HAVOC ON ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS. HE SAID IT'S IMPORTANT THAT POOL OWNERS ROUTINELY CHECK THEIR EQUIPMENT. I WOULD SAY LARGE AMOUNTS OF CORROSION OR BROKEN CONDUITS, LOOSE FITTINGS, ANYTHING THAT WOULD PERTAIN TO THE AGE OF A POOL. Reporter: HE SAYS IT'S IMPORTANT THAT HOMEOWNERS ONLY LOOK AT THEIR EQUIPMENT, DO NOT TRY TO DO ANY ELECTRICAL REPAIRS YOURSELF. THE CURRENT FLOWING THROUGH YOUR HOME'S ELECTRICAL BREAKERS AND POOL EQUIPMENT IS DANGEROUS, SHOULD ONLY BE WORKED ON BY A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN AND SHOULD NOT COWS A FORTUNE TO HIRE ONE. I WOULDN'T THINK IT WOULD BE UNDER $300 OR $400 AND LET'S FACE IT, LIFE SAFETY IS YOUR PRIMARY CONCERN. $400? HOW ABOUT $400 MILLION. I WOULD GIVE $400 MILLION, I'M SURE ANYBODY WOULD, TO BE ABLE TO HOLD THIS BOY AGAIN. Reporter: AND BACK LIVE HERE WE HAVE TO SAY IT AGAIN, DO NOT TRY TO DO ANY SORT OF ELECTRICAL REPAIRS YOURSELF. LEAVE THAT TO THE PROFESSIONALS. THE SLOAN FAMILY, THEY HAVE SET UP A MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND AT THE LEARNER ACADEMY WHERE CALDER WENT TO SCHOOL. FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE ENCOURAGED TO MAKE DONATIONS. IF YOU'D LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE YOU CAN FIND OUT THAT INFORMATION ON OUR WEBSITE, THAT'S LOCAL10.COM. WE ARE LIVE IN NORTH MIAMI TONIGHT. I'M ROGER LOHSE, LOCAL10 NEWS. ROGER, JUST SO SAD FOR THAT FATHER AND THAT FAMILY, TOO. MY COSH GOSH. YOU SAY THIS WAS LIKE A PERFECT STORM IN TERMS OF THE WIRING AND THE CORROSION THAT TOOK PLACE WITH THAT SWIMMING POOL, JUST TO REEMPHASIZE THAT. THAT'S WHAT IT APPEARS. THE LIGHT WAS WORKED ON RECENTLY AND IT APPEARS THAT THERE WAS ONE WIRE THAT WAS NOT CONNECTED. THE NOW, OF COURSE, THIS STILL HAS TO BE THOROUGHLY INVESTIGATED. YOU CAN GUARANTEE THERE'S GOING TO BE CIVIL ATTORNEYS INVOLVED. THEY WILL CERTAINLY GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THE THIS. PUT UP A LOOSE WIRE, A DISCONNECTED WIRE, BAD

It appeared that strong current accelerated the corrosion of the steel that encased the light. Eventually water seeped in and turned the pool into an electrically charged body of water.

"That was a time bomb, that was a killer waiting to take somebody and the sweetest boy in the world drew the unlucky straw, which resulted in his death," Sloan said.

Although it appears the light was wired incorrectly when it was worked on recently, experts told Local 10 that corrosion from South Florida's salty environment can also cause loose or broken connections on electrical equipment.

Ed Weidlich, chief electrical inspector for the city of Hollywood, said it's important pool owners routinely check their equipment.

"I would say (look for) large amounts of corrosion, or broken conduits, loose fittings, anything that would pertain to the age of a pool," Weidlich said.

Weidlich said it's important that homeowners only look at their equipment and not try to do any electrical repairs themselves. The current flowing though a homes electrical breakers and pool equipment is dangerous, should only be worked on by a license electrician and it should not cost you a fortune to hire one.

"No, I would think that it would be under $300 to $400 but let's face it, life safety is your primary concern, the protection of life and property, so it's hard to put a cost on that that," Weidlich said.

"Four hundred dollars? How about $400 million? I would give $400 million to hold this boy again," Sloan said.

The family has opened a memorial fund at the Lehrman Community Day School where Calder attended school.

To make a donation to the Calder Jacob Sloan Legacy Fund:

Make checks out to:
Lehrman Community Day School
memo: Calder J Sloan Legacy Fund

Address:
Lehrman Community Day School
727 77th St
Miami Beach, FL 33141
Attn: Jodi Bruce, Head of School