- Check your dive gear before your dive and monitor your air during your dive.
- Do practice dives before the season starts. Use the preseason time to refresh your skills and improve your fitness. Remember that an underwater hunt is more stressful than a recreational dive.
- Do not dive outside your physical capabilities.
- Ensure you have a dive plan and are diving with a buddy.
- File a float plan with a family member or a nearby marina. Stick to a time frame while diving and let someone know if it changes.
- Ensure you are wearing reflective material on your dive suit.
- Mark the area in which you are diving with a dive flag and a light.
- While piloting a boat, stay aware of your surroundings. Remember divers can get separated from their flags and boats.
- Remember, taking all the basic safety precautions will facilitate an increased chance of helping or finding a diver in the event Coast Guard assistance is needed.