West Park family displaced after kitchen fire

Deputies: Cause of blaze accidental due to cooking

Headline Goes Here

WEST PARK, Fla. - A West Park family was displaced after a grease fire destroyed their kitchen Thursday evening.

Firefighters were called to 3531 SW 59th Terrace shortly after 6:30 p.m. after a neighbor across the street reported the house was on fire.

The couple, an 8-year-old girl, a 10-year-old girl and a 19-year-old boy were home at the time and escaped uninjured, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said the wife was heating up a pan of grease on the stove when she added something to the pan and the hot grease flared up, igniting the cabinets and the kitchen.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in about 10 minutes. In addition to the kitchen damage, deputies said there was significant smoke damage throughout the house.

The American Red Cross was notified to help the family with temporary accommodations.

Copyright 2014 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.