Early voting begins on Sun Life Stadium deal
Miami-Dade County election regards modernization of Sun Life Stadium
Early voting began Monday in Miami-Dade County regarding the modernization of Sun Life Stadium.
The Dolphins say Sun Life Stadium needs at least $350 million in improvements to remain competitive with newer stadiums around the NFL for Super Bowls and high-profile events. Dolphins CEO Mike Dee gave a tour of the facility Saturday.
The Dolphins want $289 million from a 1 percent increase in the hotel bed tax in mainland Miami-Dade County and $90 million from a sales tax rebate.
"It will improve the neighborhood and create jobs," said Joel Scott, who voted for the plan.
"I love the Dolphins. I support my Dolphins. I love football -- [but] we got burned with the Marlins, so no," said Nydia Orta.
The 30-year economic development grant includes a non-relocation agreement. The Dolphins have offered to pay the county and the state back the money it receives from a sales tax rebate of $3 million a year for 30 years.
The state legislature is considering a bill that would authorize the rebate and also raise the hotel bed tax. Under the Senate version of the bill, the Dolphins would have to compete for that money with other professional sports franchises in the state.
The Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers, who will move into a new stadium next year, are vying for Super Bowl L in 2016. The loser will compete against the Houston Texans to host Super Bowl LI in 2017.
NFL team owners will announce the locations of Super Bowls L and LI on May 22 in Boston.
Below is the early voting schedule for the local referendum. You will also find a number of early voting locations.
Early Voting Schedule
Monday, April 29: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Tuesday, April 30: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Wednesday, May 1: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Thursday, May 2: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Friday, May 3: 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Saturday, May 4: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Sunday, May 5: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday, May 6: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Tuesday, May 7: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Wednesday, May 8: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Thursday, May 9: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday, May 10: 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday, May 11: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Sunday, May 12: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Early Voting Locations
- City of Miami - City Hall: 3500 Pan American Drive (Entrance is located at the northeast side of the building - ADA entrance is through the front door of City Hall)
- Coral Gables Library: 3443 Segovia Street
- Coral Reef Library: 9211 SW 152nd Street
- Elections Department: 2700 NW 87th Avenue (SOE Main Office)
- Florida City - City Hall: 404 West Palm Drive (Commission Chambers)
- John F. Kennedy Library: 190 West 49th Street
- Kendall Branch Library: 9101 SW 97th Avenue
- Lemon City Library: 430 NE 61st Street (Reading Room)
- Miami Lakes Public Library: 6699 Windmill Gate Road
- Miami Beach City Hall: 1700 Convention Center Drive
- Model City Library @ Caleb Center: 2211 NW 54th Street
- North Dade Regional Library: 2455 NW 183rd Street
- North Miami Public Library: 835 NE 132nd Street
- North Miami Beach Public Library: 1601 NE 164th Street (** Replacement for Aventura City Hall)
- North Shore Branch Library: 7501 Collins Avenue (Program Room)
- South Dade Regional Library: 10750 SW 211th Street
- Stephen P. Clark Govt Center: 111 NW 1st Street (Lobby) (SOE Branch Office)
- West Dade Regional Library: 9445 SW 24th Street
- West Flagler Branch Library: 5050 West Flagler Street
- West Kendall Regional Library: 10201 Hammocks Boulevard
Know before you go! Check the latest weather forecast and traffic conditions before heading out.
Click here to see how many voters casted their ballots early in the special election.