PHILADELPHIA - Miami Marlins manger Ozzie Guillen will apologize again for telling a magazine he loves Fidel Castro.
Guillen will return to Florida following Monday's game at Philadelphia and apologize Tuesday at Marlins Park. The Phillies and Marlins are off Tuesday before the series resumes Wednesday.
Guillen had told Time magazine he loves the Cuban leader and respects him for staying in power so long. The manager said before Monday's game he's had sleepless nights because of his comments and wants to make amends.
"I'm going to make everything clear what's going on," he said. "People can see me and talk. I've already talked to people. But I think it's the proper thing to see my eyes. They can see me and ask whatever question they want. I think sooner is better. Better for the ballclub, better for me."
He apologized over the weekend after the story broke last week.
"I know I hurt a lot of people," Guillen said. "I want to get the thing over with."
Guillen said the news conference would be open to "anybody that wants to be there."
Cuban-Americans ask for sincerity
Protesters gathered outside Versailles on Monday to call for Guillen's resignation.
Powerful businessman Mickey Minagorri, of Artco Group, said he will not use his season tickets until the city gets a heartfelt apology at the very least.
"He needs to be genuine. He needs to get on a microphone, and he needs to tell us exactly how he feels," Minagorri said.
Ramon Sanchez, of the Democracy Movement, said he, too, is looking for some sincerity.
"The Marlins need to clarify this from the bottom to the top. They need to make sure that this man has really repented," Sanchez said.
Some Cuban-Americans said respecting Castro is like respecting Adolf Hitler or Osama bin Laden.
"I don't think he would go to the site of the Twin Towers and say there that he admired bin Laden," Sanchez said.
A Cuban-American group planned a demonstration Tuesday at the ballpark. The protest was organized before Guillen said he would fly to Miami.
Local lawmakers condemn Guillen's statements
In a letter sent to Marlins President Jeffrey Loria Monday, Miami-Dade County Commission Chairman Joe Martinez urged Loria to call for Guillen's resignation.
"I truly hope that you consider this as there is no other alternative that would be satisfactory," Martinez wrote. "Anything less, adds insult to injury."
City of Miami Commission Chairman Francis Suarez issued a statement Monday afternoon, "calling for real action to be taken and for the removal of Mr. Guillen." Suarez's statement called Guillen's statements about Castro "completely unacceptable."
"Equally disappointing is the silence and tepid response from the Miami Marlins organization," Suarez said. "It is time, once and for all, for the Marlins to recognize the seriousness of these issues and of the Marlins' woeful inaction."
Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez added his voice to the chorus of condemnation of Guillen's statements.
"For too long, the Marlins organization has been the source of controversies in our community, and I now challenge them to take decisive steps to bring this community back together," Gimenez said in his statement Monday.
Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.