Residents urged to use generators safely for Isaac
Residents are being urged to use generators safely when Isaac passes through the state.
The Miami-Dade County Health Department says residents can avoid carbon monoxide exposure by taking precautions with gas-powered appliances and charcoal or gas grills.
The county statement recommends that residents take necessary precautions to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. One recommendation is never to use grills or generators inside the house or other enclosed areas, even with ventilation. The county warns that opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent carbon monoxide build-up in the home.
Another recommendation is to test carbon monoxide alarms in the house and replace dead batteries.
Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, tasteless gas. Residents exposed to it can call the nearest Florida Poison Information Center at 1-800-222-1222.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.