Hurricane Ernesto made landfall overnight, bringing strong winds and heavy rainfall to the southern portion of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.
In the NHC's 5 a.m.. advisory, Ernesto was downgraded to a tropical storm with maximum sustained winds of 70 mph with higher gusts. It was moving west at 15 mph.
A hurricane warning is in effect for::
- Barra de Nautla to Coatzacoalcos
- Coast of Belize City northward to the border of Mexico
A tropical storm warning is in effect for Chetumal toTulum on the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula
- South of Belize City southward to the border of Guatemala
- Celestun southward and westward to Coatzacoalcos along the gulf coast of Mexico
- North of Barra de Nautla to Tuxpan Mexico