Severe Weather Alerts
Issued at: 11:42 am CDT on May 14, 2013, expires at: 8:00 PM CDT on May 14, 2013
- ...Heat advisory remains in effect until 8 PM CDT this evening... A heat advisory remains in effect until 8 PM CDT this evening.
- Temperature: lower 90s to near 100.
- Impacts: people outside may become quickly dehydrated. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A heat advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is expected. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of fluids...stay in an air conditioned room...stay out of the sun...and check up on relatives and neighbors. To reduce risk during outdoor work...the occupational safety and health administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency...call 9 1 1.
Fire Weather Warning:
Issued at: 11:39 am CDT on May 14, 2013, expires at: 8:00 PM CDT on May 14, 2013
- ...Red flag warning remains in effect until 8 PM CDT this evening for strong wind and low humidity for all of central and southern Minnesota...
- winds...south to southwest at 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph ahead of the cold front. Becoming west to northwest at 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph behind the front.
- Relative humidity...as low as 15 percent.
- Impacts...wildfires could become fast moving in a short period of time due to the strong winds...low humidity and dry fuels. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now...or will shortly. A combination of strong winds...low relative humidity...and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.