Severe Weather Alerts
Winter Storm Warning, Freezing Rain Advisory:
Issued at: 2:45 PM CST on December 20, 2013, expires at: 6:00 PM CST on December 20, 2013
- ...Freezing Rain Advisory now in effect until 6 PM CST this evening... ...Winter Storm Warning in effect from 6 PM Saturday to 6 PM CST Sunday... The National Weather Service in Milwaukee/Sullivan has issued a Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow...which is in effect from 6 PM Saturday to 6 PM CST Sunday. The Freezing Rain Advisory is now in effect until 6 PM CST this evening.
- Periods of light freezing rain will persist through the late afternoon. Some sleet and snow could mix into the freezing rain later this afternoon over south central Wisconsin.
- Additional ice accumulation less than 0.10 inch through mid afternoon.
- Impacts...untreated roads and sidewalks will be very slippery. Some surfaces may appear wet but actually have a glaze of ice on them. Use caution if traveling today.
- Snow...Saturday evening through Sunday with a period of heavy snow likely late Saturday night into Sunday morning. 6 to 9 inches are possible with highest amounts from Darlington to Janesville...northeast to Sheboygan and Port Washington. The Madison Metro area is in The Heart of this heavy snow axis. The expected axis of heaviest snow could change so keep up with the latest forecasts.
- Timing...snow will spread into the area very quickly early Saturday evening...then continue through the night and into Sunday morning before tapering off from southwest to northeast later Sunday morning and afternoon. The snow will be heavy at times...especially between the midnight to 8am time frame. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency. If you must travel...keep an extra flashlight... food...and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. A Freezing Rain Advisory means that periods of freezing rain or freezing drizzle will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads. Slow down and use caution while driving.