Severe Weather Alerts
Beach Hazard Statement:
Issued at: 9:07 PM CDT on July 23, 2014, expires at: 1:00 AM CDT on July 24, 2014
- ...Beach hazards statement remains in effect until 1 am CDT Thursday...
- high wave action... strong currents and dangerous swimming conditions expected.
- Strong structural currents...expected.
- Strong longshore currents...expected.
- Rip currents...expected.
- Location...beaches from Port Washington to Kenosha. Beaches with particularly dangerous conditions today include... McKinley beach in Milwaukee...Grant Park beach in Milwaukee... Shoop Park beach in Racine...north parkbeach in Racine... Simmons Island beach in Kenosha. Precautionary/preparedness actions... High wave action makes swimming difficult and can tire even a strong swimmer quickly. Structural currents form along piers where longshore currents and wave action flow into the structure. Structural currents can sweep you out into deeper water along the pier structure. Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away from shore...which occur most often at low spots or breaks in sandbars. Rip currents can sweep you into deeper water. Please visit the following website to share your thoughts on the new beach hazards statement... Http://www.Weather.Gov/survey/NWS-survey.Php?Code=chmbhs Weather.Gov/mkx