Severe Weather Alerts
Winter Storm Warning:
Issued at: 4:42 am CDT on April 16, 2014, expires at: 10:00 AM CDT on April 17, 2014
- ...Winter Storm Warning now in effect until 10 am CDT Thursday...
- location...northwest Wisconsin...including the Highway 53 and Highway 2 corridors...and the Hayward lakes and Gogebic Range areas.
- Timing...snow will move quickly into the area this morning...and become heavy at times by afternoon.
- Snow accumulations...10 to 16 inches of snow is possible. The heaviest amounts will likely extend from the Minong and Gordon areas northeastward to around Ironwood and Ashland.
- Winds/visibility...northeast winds 20 to 25 mph are expected with the strongest winds close to Lake Superior. Frequent gusts 30 to 40 mph are possible. Visibility will be less than one quarter of a mile at times during the heavier snow bands... and especially closer to Lake Superior with the combination of strong winds and blowing snow.
- Impacts...the heavy snow and high winds could bring down branches. Roads will become snow covered with low visibility. Precautionary/preparedness actions... A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow and blowing snow means the combination of strong winds and falling and blowing snow will cause dangerously low visibility and drifting snow. Snow and ice covered roads...and dangerous travel conditions can be expected. Delay travel if possible. If you must travel...use extreme caution and allow extra time to reach your destination.