I like to plan my Super Bowl party with at least a few themed foods from the teams who make the game, but lobster is really expensive and Boston baked beans aren't exactly party food. Thanks to my dear friend, food blogger Lisa Ghenne, I'll now have a great dessert for my partygoers to enjoy!
One big tip: Take the time to track down farm-fresh eggs for your pastry cream. It will make a huge difference! If you don't know where your local egg sellers are, your county extension office can probably clue you in.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup regular sour cream
1 cup butter, room temperature
368 grams (1 3/4 cups) granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large whole eggs, room temperature
2 large egg yolks, room temperature
255 grams (2 1/4 cups) cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup + 1/3 cup granulated sugar (divided)
1 whole egg
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 TB butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
8 oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together milk and sour cream and let come to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by greasing and lining the bottom only with parchment paper.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the butter until creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add in the sugar and beat for 4 more minutes.
4, Add in the vanilla, eggs, and egg yolk and mix until combined, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
6. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the batter and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add in 1/2 the milk and sour cream and mix. Add in another 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until combined, then the remainder of the milk and sour cream. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and mix until combined. Finally, add in the remainder of the flour mixture and scrap with a rubber spatula to ensure that all of the batter is smooth and combined.
7. Pour batter into prepared baking pans, dividing evenly.
8. Bake for about 25 minutes, until golden brown and tooth pick inserted into center comes out clean.
9. Let the pans cool for about 10 minutes before carefully removing them from the pan and flipping them onto a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Wrap cakes in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to assemble cake.
1. In a large sauce pan, stir together milk and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolks, cornstarch, and 1/3 cup sugar.
3. Once the milk has reached a simmer, work quickly and carefully pour half of the hot milk in a steady stream into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to avoid curdling or cooking the eggs. Immediately pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking constantly. Return to a medium heat and whisk constantly until mixture thickens.
4. Remove from heat once thickened and stir in butter and vanilla until melted. Pour into a clean mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap, letting the plastic wrap touch the top of the pastry cream to avoid the creation of any film on top.
5. Cool completely in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
1. When you are ready to assemble the cake and cake layers are cooled and pastry cream is cooled and set, make your ganache. In a small sauce pan, bring heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Place your chopped chocolate into a small mixing bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate and let stand 1 to 2 minutes. Stir with a rubber spatula until smooth.
1. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet. The baking sheet will be used to catch any drips from your ganache.
2. Place a pre-cut cake circle onto the wire rack.(you can make your own using clean cardboard). Lay the bottom cake layer onto the cake circle.
3. Spread pastry cream over cake to create a filling.
4. Top with remaining cake layer.
5. Carefully and slowly pour ganache over cake, letting drip down sides.
6. Transfer cake to the refrigerator and let cool until set, about 1 hour.
7. Transfer to a cake stand or platter. Store in fridge.
Distributed by LAKANA. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.