Giving a wedding speech or wedding toast is hard to do. Sometimes the hardest part is writing your wedding speech. Where do you start? What do you say in your wedding toast? How do you write a best mans speech? How do you write a maid of honor speech? Check out 6 tips to writing an amazing wedding speech.
1) Play to your strengths. Don't think the pressure is on to be someone you're not - are you funny? Great, everyone loves to laugh. Don't feel you HAVE to be funny. If your strength is the emotional stuff, don't try to leave the audience rolling on the floor - tug at their heartstrings. People get way too nervous about giving a speech - but you don't have to if you keep it simple, and keep it real!
2) Start with a story. No one wants a lengthy introduction - A story starts off with a bang. It draws your audience in and gets them engaged. Plus,they're more natural! You won't have to rehearse it, all you have to do is tell it! This could be a funny memory you've shared or something more serious - perhaps a scenario that really showed the grooms strength of character or the brides amazing heart etc.
3) Choose a few key things you love about both the bride and the groom, before you begin writing your speech. What are their best characteristics? The best wedding speeches usually only have a couple of key points, and once you've chosen yours, the filling in the rest of your speech is much easier. If you're writing your speech as the maid of honor, you'll choose a couple more for the bride than the groom. If you're the best man writing your speech, pick a few more for the groom than for the bride. Make sure they are REAL things you and others love about them - if you're saying the bride has a motherly heart and everyone knows she hates kids, people will know you're faking it. If you're not very close to your friends new spouse, then emphasize the speech towards the friend who you know and love.
4) Once you have your points, think of a story, quote or metaphor for each one. Now is the time to take a trip down memory lane and think about all those hilarious times you've had together. This makes the speech easier to deliver because its far more natural, and will also make it much more interesting than if you were reading it straight from the page. Stories, quotes and metaphors strengthen each of your points and give the speech a sense of progression. If you can't think of any stories to work with your points, ask their other friends or parents - someone will have one!
5) Wrap it all up. Once you've got your points, its time to pull it all together into the awesome wedding speech of the century! You do this by taking the things you've just said you love about them, and saying why they're a good match. He's funny, shes smart? Perfect, he's the next Ray Ramano and she can be his agent. They both have a heart for helping people? Awesome, they're going to be world changers together. This can be serious or funny - the main thing is taking time to say why they make such a good couple.
6) Toast the bride and groom, wish them an amazing future together, and thank them for the amazing wedding. Then go sit down and pat yourself on the back. You've just given the greatest best man or maid of honor speech of all time.
Distributed by LAKANA. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.