As summer begins more people and their children will be heading to the pool. While most public pools have lifeguards on duty, residential pools do not. Follow these tips to make sure you are keeping you and your kids safe around the pool.
- Make sure kids only swim when an adult is present.
- Make sure at least one adult is watching the water at all times. Adults should be focused on the kids and not distracted by magazines, phones or conversations.
- Make sure you have rescue equipment nearby.
- Make sure your kids know the basics of swimming and water safety before letting them in the pool.
- Make sure young kids – especially those who have weaker swimming skills – have floatation devices on when in the water.
- Make sure the kids aren't horsing around while in the water, especially if younger children are present.
- Make sure there is a fence around the pool area.
- Make sure kids don't play on or near a pool with a cover on.