Riding a motorcycle can be exhilarating, as long as you are staying safe. Check out these tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to ride safely.
- Wear a helmet. This goes for both drivers and passengers. In case of an accident it will keep you protected to avoid further injury.
- Don't drink and ride. Just like you shouldn't drive a car when you've been drinking, you also shouldn't ride your motorcycle. The state's DUI laws also apply to motorcycle riders, so for everyone's safety make sure you, or your friends who have been drinking, don't operate a motorcycle.
- Wear protective clothing. Wear clothing that will protect your body in case of a fall. Also wear bright or reflective colors so you can be seen by other motorists.
- Don't speed or tailgate. Maintaining a safe speed and a safe distance between you and another car will help give you enough time to react to road conditions or a sudden stop.
- Be cautious on loose gravel or slippery surfaces.