Sending your child out the door with a healthy lunch can be a challenge, but it doesn't have to be. Below are some healthy recipes that are not only quick, but easy too.
"Bagel" Lox and Cream Cheese Egg Muffins
Prep Time: 5 Min Total Time: 20 min
Serves: 4 (2 muffins)
2/3 Cup egg whites
2 Tbsp low fat cream cheese
2 oz smoked salmon
2 tsp chopped chives
1 tsp chopped fresh dill
1/2 tsp chopped capers
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Combine all ingredients.
3. Poor evenly into muffin tins.
4. Bake for 15 min or until eggs are set.
Hi Omega Raw Bars
Prep Time: 15 min Total Time: 15 min
Makes: 16 bars
Serving: 1 bar
1/4 Cup hemp seeds
1/4 Cup almond butter
1/2 Cup quinoa puffs
1/2 Cup sunflower seeds
1/4 Cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 Cup slivered almonds
1/2 Cup chopped hazelnuts
1 cup dates, chopped
2 Tbsp almond milk
1/4 Cup agave or honey
1. Lightly grease an 8" x 11" baking pan.
2. Mix first seven ingredients in a bowl .
3. Pulse dates, almond milk and sweetener in food processor.
4. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined.
5. Using damp hands, press mixture into prepared baking dish. Place in refrigerator to set.
6. Cut into 16 bars.
7. Keeps in refrigerator for up to one week.
8. Freezes well for a quick snack or breakfast on the go.
Banana Nut Overnight Oats
Prep Time: 5 min
Total Time: 5 min
1/2 Cup Gluten Free oats
2/3 Cup almond milk
1 1/2 tsp natural, unsweetened, salt free peanut butter
1/3 Cup mashed banana
2 Tbsp quinoa puffs
1/4 tsp vanilla
1. Mix all ingredients well.
2. Pour into small mason jar or container.
3. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Perfect for a grab n go breakfast or a quick post work out
Veggie Delight Egg Bake
Prep Time: 15 min:
Total Time: 45 min
3 cups egg whites
1 Cup spinach, chopped
1/2 cups tomato, chopped
1/3 Cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 Cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped leeks
1 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2/3 cup shredded low fat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Grease 8 x 8 baking dish.
3. Beat egg whites in a large bowl, set aside.
4. Chop the vegetables and sauté in a nonstick pan.
5. Add vegetables to the eggs. Gently store in cheese.
6. Pour into prepared baking dish.
7. Bake for approximately 25 - 30 min until set.
Vegan Basil Pesto
Prep Time:15 min Total Time: 15 min
Yield: 2 Cups, (16- 2 TBSP servings)
2 Cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 Cup low sodium vegetable broth
1/2 Cup nutritional yeast
1/3 Cup pine nuts
1/4 Cup walnuts
2 garlic cloves
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
Quick and Easy Egg Muffins
Serves: 3, 2 muffins each
Prep time: 5 min
Cook Time: 15 to 20 min
Total Time: 25 min
3 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1 dash black pepper
6 Tablespoons cheddar cheese, reduced fat
2 vegetarian sausage patties
1/2 cup chopped spinach
1. Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F.
2. Coat a non stick muffin tin with cooking spray.
3. Scramble eggs with salt and pepper.
4. Mash sausages.
5. Divide sausages, spinach and cheese evenly among 6 muffin cups.
6. Pour eggs in muffin cups, taking care not to over flow.
7. Bake in oven for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
8. Let rest a few minutes until removed.
Tip: Makes a great grab and go breakfast. Reheat in microwave for 45 seconds to 1 min. Muffins keep in refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Prep Time: 10 min Total Time: 15 min
2 zucchini squash
10 grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup spinach
1/4 Cup Vegan Pesto
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1. Use a spiralizer or grater to make zucchini noodles.
2. Toss "noodles" with tomatoes, spinach and pesto.
3. Top with basil and pepper.
Oven Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1, 4 ounce Chicken Fillet
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless
1/4 cup Herb Italian Dressing (recipe included)
1/4 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 Cup whole wheat bread crumbs
2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Place each 4 ounce chicken fillet between two sheets of plastic wrap.
2. You can use a meat mallet, but if you do not have one, a rolling pin will suffice.
3. Pound until breasts are about a 1/4 inch thick.
4. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag with dressing. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
6. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
7. Remove chicken from marinade. Discard of remaining dressing.
8. Dip in egg white and dredge in bread crumbs and place on cooking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil.
9. Place in oven and bake for approximately 10 - 15 minutes or until no longer pink on the inside.
10. Check chicken at the 10 minute mark, you do not want to overcook.
11. Serve immediately or place in a container for quick grab and go lunch or dinner meals. Chicken will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days once cooked.