74ºF

'It's true,' Tom Cruise says of 'Top Gun' sequel

Star of 1986 film says sequel likely to begin filming sometime this year


PEMBROKE PARK, Fla. – "Top Gun" fans rejoice. Tom Cruise said the long-discussed sequel to the 1986 film that launched him to stardom is happening.

"It's true," the 54-year-old actor revealed Wednesday in response to questions from anchors on the Australian morning news show "Sunrise."

"It's true," Cruise said.

The actor said filming will likely begin within the next year.

"It's definitely happening," he said.

Cruise has said in similar interviews that the film was in development and was a strong possibility, but has not offered such clear confirmation.

Jerry Bruckheimer, producer of the original, had been dropping hints, too. He posted a picture of himself and Cruise on Saturday's 31st anniversary of the original's release.

The movie not only catapulted Cruise's career, but it also had a soundtrack that featured such quintessential 1980s songs as "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins and "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin.

It remains to be seen whether co-stars Kelly McGillis, Val Kilmer or Tom Skerritt will reprise their roles from the original.

One thing is certain, however. Someone new will be at the helm of the "Top Gun" sequel.

The first film's director, Tony Scott, died in 2012.


About the Authors: