2-year-old girl believed to have died from tick bite
INDIANAPOLIS – A family is in mourning after their 2-year-old daughter died after complications from what doctors believe was a tick bite.
WISH reports Kenley Ratliff was taken to an emergency room twice for strep throat and released. When Ratliff's fever failed to come down, she was admitted to the hospital.
With a 104 degree fever, Ratliff was given an antibiotic and placed on a breathing tube, but died early Saturday morning with a brain infection.
Doctors believe she died of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, a tick borne disease that causes bacterial infections.
A family friend says Ratliff died with her mother holding her swollen hands.
In Florida, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is transmitted primarily by the American Dog Tick.
CLICK HERE for more information on ticks in Florida and how to protect you and your family.
Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.