Summer Heat Danger: Your garden hose could cause serious burns


MIAMI – The summer heat is here and so is a warning to parents about garden hoses and other heat-related dangers.

The Las Vegas Fire and Rescue department is reminding people about a 2016 incident where a child was burned by water inside a garden hose heated up by the summer heat.

The department tweeted out a picture of the child on Monday as a safety alert for parents.

A garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals.

Staying Safe in the Heat

  • If you are working in the heat, stay hydrated and keep a bottle of water close by. 
  • Take breaks in the shade as often as possible.
  • If you are exercising outside, limit your strenuous activities to early in the morning or late in the evening.
  • When using a garden hose, if it has been sitting in the sun, make sure to let the water flow through it for a couple of minutes before spraying it on anyone.