Stay safe on the beach
Going to the beach is a fun summer outing. However, swimming in a lake or the ocean requires some different safety guidelines than swimming in a pool.
Check out these tips from the American Red Cross to stay safe while enjoying the beach.
- Never swim alone. Make sure there is someone with you in case you run into trouble.
- Don't swim out too far. While you might have enough energy to swim out far, remember that you also need to swim back to shore. Unlike a pool, there is no wall to grab onto if you need to take a rest.
- Children and inexperienced swimmers should wear life jackets.
- Be aware of the tide so you don't get carried out too far by the waves.
- Don't dive in. It's difficult to see the bottom and to judge how deep the water is.
- Be aware of aquatic life, including plants. Your feet can get tangled in the plants. If you see fish or other sea animals try to avoid them and don't disturb them.