10 treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Lauderdale Lakes

Incident caused from improper use of makeshift stove, deputies say

By Peter Burke - Local10.com Managing Editor, Amanda Batchelor - Senior Digital Editor, Derek Shore - Reporter

LAUDERDALE LAKES, Fla. - Ten people were treated Thursday morning for carbon monoxide poisoning at a Lauderdale Lakes apartment complex, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office Department of Fire Rescue.

Sky 10 was flying above the apartment building at 2775 NW 34th Ave.

A view from Sky 10 showed at least one person being placed on a stretcher and put in the back of an ambulance.

Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright said fire-rescue personnel responded to the scene in reference to a report about people vomiting and suffering from headaches.

Authorities determined that the incident was caused from the family cooking on a makeshift stove inside of their apartment. 

Authorities said the carbon monoxide was released from the charcoal.  

Raynold Noel told Local 10 News that he was using the rim of a tire to cook rice because some of the burners on his stove weren't working.

He said he extinguished the fire Wednesday night and the family went to bed, only to wake up feeling ill.

"There was no smoke, nothing. After that, I felt dizzy," Noel said. 

The department's hazardous materials team ventilated the apartment and checked all adjacent apartments for carbon monoxide. 

Coleman-Wright said the carbon monoxide exposure was limited to the single apartment. 

Three adults and seven children were taken to Plantation General Hospital in serious condition. 

The apartment manager wasn't too happy about the incident. 

"Just kind of asking them why they decided to use a tire rim instead of their stove would be the first question I believe we would ask," Samantha Freeman said. 

Noel said he lives at the three-bedroom apartment with his cousin, her husband and both of their children.

He said he used the tire rim to cook food during Hurricane Irma, as well, but doesn't plan to use it again.  

The state fire marshal is leading the investigation into the incident.

Copyright 2017 by WPLG Local10.com - All rights reserved.